Sunday, October 29, 2006

WIND

"Zebra in a high wind" ...10x8 acrylic on panel


Here is something different for you. I have done some little acrylic paintings of animals in the past, and this is an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a year or so. The Illo Friday word for this week (WIND) gave me the incentive I needed to go ahead and paint it. I made endless sketches of zebras trying to get the stylized look I wanted. I finally landed on one that was close enough. I don't think the final painting has quite the graphic impact I was hoping for. The real thing never quite matches the vision I have in my head. It seemed a lot funnier in my mind than it looks painted. Oh, well... that's about par for me. Does this happen to you?

So... what do you think? I welcome any comments or helpful suggestions.

23 comments:

JO said...

All your illo's are so funny. Love this character.

Luisa said...

love this zebra! she make me laugh!

Anonymous said...

I agree, I often have a much better picture in my mind. But since I can't see into your brain I like this drawing a lot ;) Very cute!

Michelle Lana said...

hahahaha....love it Doug!!

studio lolo said...

It absolutely works perfectly as far as I'm concerned! Love it!!

Dave M! said...

Perfect. I can learn from your simplicity.

Anonymous said...

hehe... love it!

hemelsgroen said...

I really love it! It's very funny, and I think your idea comes across very well.

Anonymous said...

I really like this character...funny and smart idea!

Mette said...

Haha, I like it a lot. :D Funny.

Olivier aubin said...

very niiiiice!

Bino

http://binoland.blogspot.com/

Jeope said...

I hear ya about the vision/execution thing. I can get mad at my hands for not being as good as my brain.

Noice zebra, tho'. The doodle-zebra is fine, too. I'm a big fan of the doodle.

Anonymous said...

VERY FUNNY, GOOD THINKING

Lauren said...

I love the zebra! And the expression is priceless!

I am new to the blogging game, but I love your site- I put a link to you from my blog- thanks for the hours of entertainment!!

Zara said...

Brilliant image!

Anonymous said...

yeah, happens a lot. Great acrylics! and my favorite so far this week!

Anonymous said...

(Strange...I left a comment here the other day but I don't see it...) I concure with the others (and you): what I envision (or hope to achieve) rarely works out. I think your zebra piece turned out great, even if it fell short of your expectations.

Kay Aker said...

Better than fruit-striped gum!

Duncan said...

Very Funny - looks likes he's losing his stripes soon.

Poseidion said...

haha thats funny! and the Zebra is just so cute!

Anonymous said...

Every single time I start out trying to draw what my brain wanted...I end up with something else entirely. LOL

I love what you ended up with here. Mostly...the expression on his face. toooo funny.

trowbridge chronicles said...

I agree with all the other comments. I always enjoy your zany solutions to every Socmo panel.

Alexiev said...

Ho... greate steel...

Very good Zebra...

Perfect... I love...

Best regards...

Saludos desde Buenos Aires