Sunday, January 14, 2007

80s

(click to enlarge)
SocMo McFly checks his watch and hopes he can hit the magic speed of 88 mph in his DeLorean time machine to get Back to the Future.

The 80s produced some of my favorite movies. Let's see, there was the Empire Strikes Back, the Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., the Princess Bride, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Back to the Future, to name a few. Back to the Future is full of what the 80s was like with the skateboarding Marty McFly in his vest and the music of Huey Lewis and the News. This was one "heavy" movie. Things weren't "cool" in the 80s... they were "heavy" ... a running gag between Marty and Doc Brown in the movie.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

HA ! HA !! Great take!

steve said...

Very true Doug. What a great movie it was (and car). Nice job incorporating Socmo into a classic scene!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! i loved this movie. 1 and 2 i loved the most. awesome illo! well done.

Larry Lee said...

Great! I alway thought the 'Back to the Future' movies explained the paradox of time-travel the best. Certainly, the most entertaining. I hope Sockmo's Flux Capacitor is still functioning.
I think you hit on all my favorite movies from the 80s.

Doug said...

I think there is a recall on that Flux Capacitor... they don't seem to last long.

Michelle Lana said...

Hahaa.....great work doug!!!! I love it!!!

kglaser89 said...

very nice work. (^.^) i love the description as well!

Brine Blank said...

Funny...even funnier that a sock monkey is standing over an open flame and worried about what time it is as opposed to exploding into a polyester mushroom cloud...

Doug said...

Brine...

SocMo is indestructible... it's his super HERO gift...

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

A really terrific illustration and fun 80s movie reviewal. The Princess Bride still holds up incredibly well today! It's an all time favorite. How about Indiana Jones? I could totally see SockMo doing Indiana Jones! And it IS Jones...

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I would never have remembered that detail! Guys remember stuff like that. Great take and illo, as usual!

Doug said...

scott: I really wanted to draw that flying DeLorean but couldn't find a picture of it so ended up with the poster image... an IndySocMo would be fun!

paula: my great (yeah, right) memory was enhanced by GOOGLE where I found a list of 80s movies.... but I DID remember to use GOOGLE, does that count?

Angela Matteson said...

I love this! You got the pose just right. Marty...I mean Socmo Mcfly rocks!!!

Adrian Ropp said...

I don't get it. Is he in the Navy? Why is he wearing a life jacket?

Great idea and execution!