Wednesday, August 13, 2008

ABC

Each day I look forward to seeing what James Gurney has posted on his blog, Gurney Journey. He touches on a lot of subjects I am interested in. I like dinosaurs... he paints dinosaurs for National Geographic. I try to paint plein air... his paintings look like they were cut out of the landscape and pasted on his canvas. I doodle little objects... he makes little models of fantastic machines and paints them for his Dinotopia books. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge on drawing and painting. I always learn something from reading his blog each week.

One thing he has been doing is something he calls Art By Committee (ABC). The origin is that he had some fragments clipped from old science fiction manuscripts and was setting around with friends in a coffee shop (if I remember correctly). They all took turns contributing to a drawing in his sketchbook inspired by the fragment.

Now, each Wednesday he posts a fragment and anyone can play along by doing a drawing inspired by it. He posts all the entries on the following Wednesday.

So... this is my entry for the game this week. The phrase I had to work with was, "their voices were high-pitched, piercing... but human."

7 comments:

Bill Ross said...

I'm kind of surprised that there's not a cameo by Socmo up in the trees somewhere. Kind of like when Granny Clampett appeared on Green Acres. Hope you haven't abandoned the poor little guy.

Bill Ross said...

Or was that Petticoat Junction? I just remember Granny having a thing for Sam Drucker. And thought the crossover very innovative.

Anonymous said...

They made cameos on Petticoat Junction, I'm sure of that. Don't recall Jed, etc. on Green Acres.

And yeah..Where's Soc...? Soc! Soc! Soc!

I think this is brilliant. Two thumbs up from me, Dj. : ) And I enjoy (and am blown away by) Gurney, too.

Anonymous said...

I am a daily visitor of the Gurney site as well. A refreshing looks at a wide variety of topics. I have to say though, that your ABCommittee entry was the best I've seen so far. I laughed out loud in work. Very very funny.....

Doug said...

Anony... if you had only been drinking milk at the time and it spewed out of your nose... my life would be complete! :0)

Nathan Fowkes said...

Good one :)

Kristina Bustamante said...

Hey! I stumbled across your blog on Illustration Friday, and I'm digging your work. Had to comment on this one because I love the Bee Gees. I LOL'd so hard!