Monday, October 06, 2008

Sugary/Packed

Running a presidential campaign requires a lot of energy. That is why front runner SocMo starts each day with a great big SUGARY bowl of Sugar Frosted Chocolate Coated Wing Nuts. His bag is PACKED, and he is confident that the American people will be sending him to the White House very soon. I mean... just look at the other two candidates... this is NO contest!
----------------------------------------------

Since I missed last week on Illustration Friday, I combined the word for last week with this week. A two for one deal!

This month JONESAPALOOZA is THREE years old! In October 2005 I found Illustration Friday and wanted to play along. I created this blog as a place to put my entries. If you would like to see my very first entry just CLICK HERE. I needed a character to use for the word FLOAT, so I used a character based on an old sock monkey I had when I was small. SocMo's looks have changed some since then, but he has appeared in a lot of IF challenges and is now running for President of the U.S. of A.! WOo.

The quality of my Illustration Friday entries is all over the board. Some were well thought out and carefully executed, while others were dashed out in minutes. I have also learned a lot about Photoshop over the last 3 years here. This is where I do some experimenting with Photoshop to see what happens if I do THIS. Some expeirments work out OK, others don't... but I post them all. Even this week I was trying to figure out how to add the letters behind SocMo as an add on after I had finished the illustration. A good little challenge, but I did it!

As a special bonus for SocMo fans, I have now painstakingly gone through 3 years of posts and added some labels. If you go to the side bar and look under LABELS, you will find ALL SocMo postings grouped by years. Click on a year and take a walk down memory lane. Please... SOMEbody do it... or else I have just wasted my entire Sunday afternoon.

8 comments:

Kevin Spear said...

Love it, Doug. You gave a smile to my day. Yay Socmo!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Is that how Socmo came into existence? I assumed he was a character you had prior to that. Well, IF has been good to you! And congrats on the blog-birthday. You've done a great job with keeping up with it.

Nicky Linzey said...

Well, Socmo's definitely come a long way in 3 years! Great illustration.

Juan said...

Very nice. Cute illo!!

Juan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I couldn't wait to see what you did for this weeks word!

Happy Birthday Sockmo!!!

I will definately go through the archives, I do it once in awhile anyways on some of my favorite blogs. I have your wonderful coloring tutorial bookmarked!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday! ! ! I LOVE visiting your blog! SocMo never disappoints :)

Anonymous said...

happy blog birthday! i love your sock monkey character, he's adorable. and he's HILARIOUS in this illustration! LOVE! <3