Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Old Fashioned

Gather around children, and let me tell you of the days before everyone walked around with a phone in his pocket. When I was little I read a comic strip in the newspaper (do you remember newspapers?) called Dick Tracy. Dick Tracy would talk on his 2-Way Wrist Radio. You knew it was a 2-Way Wrist Radio because there was a little arrow pointing to it telling you. This was the stuff of science fiction. To think you could communicate with someone with a watch like radio. No way.

Later there was Maxwell Smart. The spy from Control who talked into his shoe phone. A bit awkward for sure, but nevertheless a portable phone. He did have to dial it... but still... this was technology only a spy could have.

Today everyone takes phones for granted. Leave home without your phone and you feel nekkid!

Except for me. I still use tin cans with string.

Just call me old fashioned.

13 comments:

OneBigHappy said...

I HATE cell phones. I really do. Unless I need to borrow one from someone. But I dislike them a lot. I used to have to have one to be on call for a delivery company I worked for and it was a chain around my neck. The last thing I need is for everyone to be able to reach me when I'm not home. But I do have a little track phone I use for long trips. If I can manage to remember to take it with me. Did I mention I HATE cell phones? -- Nice post. And I love your work. Some of what you do reminds me a bit of Sergio Aragones, but yours has a kind of innocence that makes it unique and very appropriate for what you do, I think. Peace.

Catherine Swenson said...

thats so cool. Just love your style, very nice illo!

Bucky Jones said...

I'm right there with you, Doug. Give me a can and string, any day. Love the illustration.

Linda Hensley said...

Fun times, fun times :)

Duncan said...

Fun and lovely characters. In my day it was conkers not wii or ps3.

Unknown said...

Brilliant idea!! Love the characters!

psychopooch said...

Haha! Nice can phones :)

Heather said...

ah yes, we used to make those all of the time! great one!!!

k.h.whitaker said...

great idea, love it

Tracy said...

Cute illo :) I remember imaginative play like this...too bad kiddos today aren't as creative :( I've witnessed it firsthand in my Kindergarten classroom...having to show them HOW to play!

Morph Waffle said...

Great, love your illustration.

kathy hare said...

I used to love doing this as a child! lovely illustration..

Andy McNally said...

Love it. Very nice illustration and take on the theme.