Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oil Change

The "Service Engine Soon" light has been on in my vehicle for a couple of weeks now and it was getting on my nerves. All 5,473 of my nerves. I also had some sketches that were past due to a client in downtown Nashville. I decided I could do both of these things in one fell swoop and feel good about myself for being somewhat efficient. So I drove downtown, dropped off my sketches and took my vehicle in with my oil-change/tire-rotation-money-saving coupon in my hand. I thought I might do some preliminary doodling on a job while I was waiting for the oil change. BUT, as I walked out the door, I saw the skyline of Nashville spread out before me. So I hopped up on a little wall and started sketching it.
Click on image to Supersize

On the extreme left is the Tennessee state capitol. The next building to the right became my measuring rod. Everything from that point on was compared to that first tall building to try to keep everything in proportion. "Is this building half as tall as the first building.... and is it wider than the first building?" This kept me pretty much on track, but I seemed to get larger as I went across the page. The last building on the right is what we refer to around here as the Batman building. The coolist building in town. It took about 30 minutes to draw across the skyline and I then decided it was time to check on the status of my vehicle.

Of course it wasn't ready yet, so I sat down in the waiting room. And there... about 6 feet away... and not noticing me... was this girl with a really great profile! I couldn't resist! She was listening to an earphone and watching the TV as she waited. I secretly drew and drew and pretended to be staring off into space (which I am VERY good at) if anyone looked at me. So I finished the girl and then drew a few cartoony cows for good measure. Then they called my name, I paid, got in, drove home, and lived happily ever after.

the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, DoUg! Look at you, all sketching and showing them and stuff! I can even see your familiar linework in the citiscape. Love the girl sketch. More! MOrE!

Doug said...

yeah... look at me. You make it look like fun... don't want to miss out on any FUN :0)

Kutitap said...

It's time for your car to change oil, here are some oil change coupons that you can use.

Connie said...

Fabulous sketching; love 'skyline'.