Thursday, January 14, 2010

book project part 2

Hidee-Ho neighbor, welcome to part two of the book project I am working on.

I think I need to explain a little about this book I am illustrating. This is an educational book which means you will never see it in a bookstore or in a library, or anywhere else. If you happen to be an elementary school teacher or student, you might run across it sometime. Maybe. Who knows?

Here is the printout and a mighty fine photo of my left thumb. Click photo to enlarge... but my thumb gets REALLY big!

This is what I am working from. I received a PDF of the book that I printed out. This has the copy in place on the bottom of each page, and a box where the illo is to go. In the box are the art suggestions for the illo. Yep, I'm a "hired wrist" as a friend of mine likes to say.

And here is my secret weapon! An Artograph. I don't always use this. Sometimes I draw things in using my 1/2 size sketches as a guide. But I have LOTS of pages to draw up, and the Artograph helps me GET 'ER DONE much quicker. And in the illustration biz... quicker is better.

What the Artograph allows me to do is project my sketch and enlarge it to actual size. As I am redrawing the picture, I can make many adjustments. I can move things around on my final page so the composition is better. I can enlarge or shrink something if it needs it. Lots of tweaking can be done and we all know how much fun tweaking is.

If you look closely, you will also see my ever present Car Talk mug full of sweet tea sitting on my Norman Rockwell coaster.

So here is the small version of page six and the new, improved full sized sketch... now with 50% more humor, less fat and more fiber. The beginnings of a very healthy illustration.

At the end of day three I have now roughed in all of the illustrations full size, and when I close my eyes at night I see little fish.

Oh, while I am working I usually listen to the radio. Public Radio is my default station. My local station used to play classical music, but recently they switched over to mostly talk programs. Sometimes it is interesting, sometimes not... sometimes downright annoying. An alternative I just found is an internet station Slacker radio. You can enter an artist and it will create a station that plays similar artists to the one you chose. I entered Michael Buble and now have a station that plays John Mayer, Harry Connick, Jr., Diana Krall, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Norah Jones, and many more. I like it. If you want to give it a try, here is a link to it.

enjoy.

1 comment:

pj said...

Neat to see more details from yesterday's post--and how you work! Look at the honking Art-o-Graphy thingy! I think I do the same thing on the computer. Doesn't seem to be as much fun!

Have you used publicradiofan.com? Good for finding npr, pri, cbc, etc. stations all over. I can't access Pandora-like stations north of the border, darn it, but will try Slacker radio when I get down South! Thanks for sharing!